Optional wording for policy briefings: A policy briefing is available for LKS staff to share in their organisations. Produced by the JET Library at Mid Cheshire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust. Feel free to reproduce it (with acknowledgement).
What does this mean for libraries?
This report would be of interest to library staff supporting General Practice, Community Services and Clinical Commissioning Groups. Library staff may be involved in:
- Providing evidence to enable service and quality improvement.
- Negotiating access to resources and services if practices merge or grow in size.
- Conversations about how care is provided, facilitating access to evidence to underpin these discussions.
- Ensuring equitable access to high quality resources exploiting collaborative purchasing opportunities as available.
Source: King’s Fund
Date of publication: June 2018
Summary of driver:
The paper considers innovative models of general practice being delivered in the UK and internationally:
- Team-based working;
- Digital innovations;
- Community-centred approaches;
- New roles in general practice;
- Whole-system redesign.
Case studies and lessons learnt are provided for each model. The report suggests that the following features will be important for future designs:
- Building and maintaining strong relationships;
- A shift from reactive to proactive care;
- Using technology;
- General practice working within a wider health system;
- Supporting general practice to change.
The report concludes by making recommendations to general practice, system leaders and commissioners and policy makers.