A policy briefing is available for LKS staff to share in their organisations. Produced by the JET Library at Mid Cheshire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust. Feel free to reproduce it (with acknowledgement).
What does this mean for libraries?
- There may be an opportunity to deliver evidence and knowledge to teams experiencing issues with recruitment
- Opportunity to link in with GP surgeries to support staff
- Support transformations teams with evidence on staff retention/recruitment
Source: The Health Foundation
Date of publication: October 2017
Summary of driver: This report looks at the trends of the NHS workforce and concludes that the NHS workforce has a high staff turnover. Issues of concern include the drop in GP recruitment and the impact of the removal of the NHS bursary on student nurse numbers. Other key themes around the issues of staff retention include the following:
- Workforce stability is falling in NHS Trusts down to a median of 85% in 2016/17 from 89% in 2010/11
- There needs to be a sustained and nationally-focused approach to workforce policy and planning
- There is an ongoing disconnect between identified staffing-groups’ needs and funding decisions