Title of driver: A strategy for NHS library information services development in the North West: 2009 – 2014
Publication format: PDF
Date of publication: August 2009
Summary of driver: HCLUs strategic plan sets out a flexible framework for NW NHS organisations to develop library information service strategies within their own local context. The strategy has been developed within the context of other regional and national drivers (Healthier Horizons, Darzi, Hill Report).
Key features of driver:
There are 8 key themes:
- Improving the quality of the service by aligning library services with core NHS business
- Modernising NHS library information services
- Developing the NHS library workforce
- Making quality an integral part of the library information service
- Creating effective partnerships
- Thinking about how NHS library information services can meet or support the health information needs of patients, carers and the public
- Contributing to sustainable development
- Providing the right level of funding
Case studies demonstrating how NW library services are meeting each of the key themes are provided.
Primary audience: All NHS and HE healthcare library staff providing library and information services to NHS organisations across the North West.
Impact on library policy/practice: Provides guidance on how NW NHS organisations can develop their own library services and how HCLU will aim to support key developments. Outlines areas in which library services should be proactive in aligning themselves with their own NHS organisations.
Keywords: Acute; Hospitals; Primary Care; Mental Health; Community
Case studies/Local Service examples mapping to this driver are: None
Date last updated: July 2010
Review date: 2014
Group member responsible: MM